All purebred* Fell Pony foals in North America receive their official registration (termed the 'Passport') through the Fell Pony Society (FPS) in England. The foal registration form is sent to mare owners, in hard copy format, from the Society office in England.
Our recommended protocol when registering foals is as follows:
- After your foal is born, contact the FPS Secretary via email to request foal registration forms be sent to you. Please note, these are being mailed from the UK, so allow sufficient time (at least two weeks). For those expecting multiple foals, FPSNA advises to wait until your last mare has foaled, and then request the total number of registration forms needed altogether. The current email address for the FPS Secretary is: SecretaryFellPonySociety@gmail.com
- Contact your veterinary office to schedule an appointment. Once the registration forms arrive, your vet will need to insert an ISO-certified, 15 digit microchip as required by the Society, as well as indicate whorl locations on your foal, and sign each registration form, along with their practice (clinic) stamp (typically this is a return address rubber stamp used on envelopes).
- Foals born by AI (artificial insemination) will need to include DNA parentage verification test results along with their registration forms. Your vet should take the necessary hair sample from the foal at the same time as microchipping. DNA forms are available on our website.
- Please Note- the registration form uses the European system of month and date recording. This means a foal born on April 10th is noted as 10/4, NOT 4/10 as we use in the United States.
- Make payment for each foal registration here on the FPSNA website (link below), noting that the FPS charges a different price for fillies versus colts: https://www.fpsna.org/FPS-Services
Once your registration forms are completed, they must be sent back to the FPS office in England, along with the Stallion Service Slip for each foal (see below). The current address for their office is: Fell Pony Society, Ion House, Great Asby, Appleby, Cumbria CA16 6HD, ENGLAND
Owners who wish to have FIS test results included in their foal's Passports can send those results along with their registration forms, and request they be indicated.
Please allow at least 10 days for your paperwork to arrive at their office if using normal delivery. Note important deadlines below.